About Electro Impulse De-Icing System
- Fast, efficient and reliable de-icing in all icing conditions
- Extremely low weight and power consumption
- Serial production since 1970
- Continuously developed and now in our 4th generation
- 180 International Patents
- Works in all icing conditions and is neither affected by icing rate nor temperature compared to traditional systems such as heating systems or liquid systems if they are turned on too late creating a liquid layer under the ice.
- Increases payload remarkably due to simplified design of wings, slats and body (no limitations due to warm and bulky ducts – possible composite skin)
- Reduced fuel consumption (used to propulsion – not heating)
- Low weight (2-3 kg for small UAV’s – 50 kg~A380)
- Less power (10-500 W)
- No aerodynamic impact
- Acceleration skin. No impact between inductor and skin as the competitor system. No vibration in the coil
- Small average current – gives low temperature
- Low life cycle cost
EIDS Improves Safety
- All leading edges can be protected (stabilizer, fin and engine air inlets)
- Full power during entire flight
- Full de-ice during quick descend (not possible with the bleed air systems)
- No dangerous bleed air ducts in structure and near fuel system. Prevents “Stress Corrosion Cracking” typical for bleed air aluminium LE
- Proven effective from 00C to – 500C
- Ice bursts into small pieces too small to harm the aeroplane fuselage or the engines.
- No re-freezing problems
Operating reliability and safety statement
- EIDS has not lead to any problems relating to safety, normal operation or departure delays of any aeroplane.
- There is no limitation in service life. It reached service life of 30 years for IL-86 and 40 years for IL-38/38M. For IL-96 20 years or 20.000 hours.
- Over 200 planes and more than 30 years with 1,5 million flight hours have proven the reliability and efficiency and low life cycle cost.
Heating Systems on Different Existing Large Aeroplanes (~ 300-350 PAX)
|Aeroplane Type||Transport||Passenger||Passenger Analysis|
|Fuel Flow for Bleed Air|
(>2-5% of flight time)
|800 kg/h||900 kg/h (alt. 48 kW stabilizer & fin)||700 kg/h|
|Minimum Engine Power||0,3*Normal||0,3*Normal||0,5*Normal|
|Weight heating system|
(example with aluminium LE)
|450 kg||700 kg, (320 kg – hot air & el. heating)||815 kg|
- Thrust reduced with 10-20% due to large protected area – B767 3-5% – reduced area
- Decrease power per % hot air: Jet: 1 % – turboprop: 2-3%
- Rule of thumb: “Every extra kg structure brings in total 5 extra kg aeroplane”
<50[/av_cell][av_cell col_style='']<500[/av_cell][/av_row] [/av_table] [av_heading heading='*)' tag='h6' color='' custom_font='' style='' size='' subheading_active='' subheading_size='15' padding='10'][/av_heading] [av_textblock ]
Differences Between Heating System & EIDS
- Based on standard certification demands and aluminum LE.
- The newest development with new composite materials reduces the weight and power consumption even more –
- The possibilities are limitless.
What can PWT-Impulse Offer?
PWT will in co-operation with the aeroplane manufacturer assist with:
- Adapt aeroplane structure (leading edge of wing, slats, stabiliser, tail and engine inlets)
- Configuration and architecture of EIDS system to secure lowest weight and power consumption and highest reliability and efficiency
- Perform tests (laboratory, IWT and flight tests)
- Produce equipment for tests and serial production aeroplane
- EIDS for new aeroplane, retrofit and midlife upgrade projects where PWT can fully coordinate or run as mutual project
Our experience through 40 years of laboratory researches and flight tests, design, develop and adapting EIDS guarantees the success for your project.